Friday, March 13, 2015

20 Alice's Schooldays

Alice's Schooldays

Alice says:
"I loved my schooldays. I went to a boarding school in Wales from 1942 to 1946. My cousins were there. And I made lifelong friends."

“I travelled home six hours on a choo-choo train. 

"I stood waiting on Leeds station. I'd been at a private school, a girls' public school, and I had become accustomed to hearing people speaking very posh at school. My father had come to meet me at Leeds station. It was a shock to hear the station master say to my father, in his broad accent, "Have ya coom to meet ya daughter then?" Bradford was a terminus.

Alice mimics the station master in a low voice and a strong accent. Followed by a peel of laughter. You can see why she enjoyed being in amateur dramatics. She leans forward conspiratorially:

"I had learned to sew at school and my mother asked me to patch a white sheet. In those days everybody had white sheets - and white linen or cotton handkerchiefs." 

Loudon agrees and nods, "That's right. No paper tissues!" He shakes his head. "No. They came in later.”

Alice recalls:
"My school was a girls only school. Boarding schools were all like that in those days. I met my friend Joan on my first day at school and we were best friends from the age of 13 to 17, when I left. Joan stayed on another year.

"She married in 1956, the same year that I married Loudon. She had two children, but her husband died four or five years later, about 1960. He had a brain tumour. So she was left with two young children. Fortunately her parents were wealthy - and she was an only child." No sisters. So Alice was like a sister to Joan.

"Joan became a teacher, of English and all subjects to a pre-infant's kindergarten, ensuring children knew everything they needed to know to start school.

"Later Joan took me back to visit our old school. It was called Castle, a Tudor building with turrets, and sections added in stone. Some of the dormitories were in the old castle and some in the annexe buildings. Now the property a holiday resort, Bodelwyddon Castle, in the Warner group.For details of the history read:
http://www.warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/hotels/bodelwyddan-castle-hotel/hotel-history/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment